Admission Notice : Session 2008 – 2009
B.Stat.(Hons.), B.Math.(Hons.), M.Stat., M.Math., M.S.(QE), M.S.(LIS) , M.Tech.(CS), M.Tech.(QROR) and Fellowships.
1. 3-year B-Stat. (Hons.) : Successful completion of 10+2 years of Higher Secondary Education or equivalent with Mathematics and English. Stipend Rs. 800/- per month. (Offered in Kolkata).
2. 3-year B.Math. (Hons.) : Successful completion of 10+2 years of Higher Secondary Education or equivalent with Mathematics and English. Stipend Rs. 800/ - per month. (Offered in Bangalore).
3. 2-year M.Stat.: 3-year Bachelor's degree with Statistics as full subject or a B.Stat/B.Math. degree from the Indian Statistical Institute or Statistician's Diploma/Senior Diploma in Statistics from the Indian Statistical Institute. Stipend Rs. 1200/- per month (Offered in Kolkata).
4. 2 - Year M.Stat: 3 years Bachelor's degree or a B.E./B.Tech. degree with Mathematics and an exceptionally strong background in Analysis and Abstract Algebra or a B.Stat/B.Math. degree from the Indian Statistical Institute. Stipend Rs. 1200/- per month. (Offered in Kolkata).
5. 2-Year Master of Science (M.S). in Quantitative Economics: 3-year Bachelors' degree in Economics/ Mathematics/Statistics/ Physics or a B Stat, degree from the Indian Statistical Institute. Engineering graduates arc also eligible. Candidates should have knowledge of Economics and Mathematics at the B.A/B.SC. pass level. Stipend Rs.1200/- per month. (Offered in Kolkata & Delhi).
6. 2- year Master of Science (M.S.) in Library and Information Science: 3 Year Bachelor's degree in any discipline. The candidates must have secured at least 60% marks in the Bachelors' degree. Stipend Rs. 1200/- per month. (Offered in Bangalore).
7. 2-year M.Tech. in Computer Science: Master’s degree in Mathematics/ Statistics/ Physics/ Electronic Sciences/Computer Applications/ Computer Science/Information Technology or, Bachelor's degree in Engineering/ Technology or any other qualification considered equivalent (such us AMIE or GRAD-IETE or DOEACC 'B' Level). Stipend Rs. 5000/- per month. (Offered in Kolkala).
8. 2-year M.Tech. in Quality, Reliability and Operations Research : (i) Master's degree in Statistics or Master's degree in Mathematics with Probability and Statistics as major subject or Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology or equivalent or PG diploma in SQC & OR from the Indian Statistical Institute and Knowledge of Mathematics at graduate level and knowledge of Physics and Chemistry at Higher Secondary level. Stipend Rs. 5000/- per month. (Offered in Kolkata).
A candidate who was asked to discontinue any of the above programmes if not eligible for re-admission to the same programme.
9. Junior Research Fellowships :
(a) Statistics : (i) A good academic record with M.Stat., M.A./M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Statistics or, (ii) outstanding mathematical maturity with B.Stat./B.Math., B.A./B.Sc. or equivalent degree with Statistics as the main subject.
(b) Mathematics : (i) A good academic record with M.Stat., M.Math., M.A./M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Mathematics or, (ii) outstanding mathematical maturity with B.Stat./B.Math., B.A./B.Sc. or equivalent degree with Mathematics as the main subject.
(c) Quantitative Economics : (i) A good academic record with M.S.(QE), M.Stat., M.A./M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Statistics/ Mathematics / Economics/ Econometrics or, (ii) outstanding mathematical maturity with B.A./B.Sc. degree with Economics as the main subject. A candidate possessing a Master's degree in any subject with Mathematics/Statistics at B.A./B.Sc. (Pass) level is also eligible.
(d) Computer Science : A good academic record with M.E./ M.Tech. or equivalent degree in Electronics/ Telecommunication /Radio Physics/ Computer Science /Electrical Engineering/ Microwave Communications/ Information Technology or a good academic record with M.Sc./ M.C.A./ M.A. or equivalent degree in Physics/ Mathematics /Statistics/ Electronic Sciences/Computer Science/ Atmospheric Science/ Information Technology with Mathematics as a compulsory subject at the graduate level. Outstanding candidates having B.E./ B.Tech./ equivalent degree in the above subjects will also be eligible.
(e) Biological Anthropology : A good academic record with M.Sc. in Anthropology (Specialization in Physical/Biological Anthropology).
(f) Physics and Applied Mathematics : A good academic record with M.Sc. in Physics / Mathematics / Statistics.
(g) Agriculture & Ecology : A good academic record with M.Sc. in Environmental Science/Botany (Specialization in Ecology/Plant Physiology ).
(h) Sociology: A good academic record with M.A./M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Sociology/ Anthropology/ Economics/ History or any other subject in Social Sciences.
(i) Geology: A good academic record with M.Sc. in Geology / Applied Geology or equivalent or, M.Sc. in Chemistry (Specialization in Physical Chemistry).
(j) Human Genetics : A good academic record with M. Stat./M. Sc. in Statistics. Candidate has to take the JRF (Statistics) selection tests.
(k) Psychology: A good academic record with M.A./M.Sc. in Psychology/Applied Psychology.
(l) Demography: A good academic record with Master’s degree in Statistics/ Demography/ Economics/ Population Science/Population Studies/ Applied Mathematics.
(m) Library and Information Science : A good academic record with Associateship in Documentation and Information Science of the Indian Statistical Institute or INSDOC or Master’s degree in Library and Information Science with at least 55% marks in undergraduate and post graduate degree programmes.
Fellowship for 9(a) to 9(m) : i) applicants with M.E./M.Tech. or equivalent : Rs. 9000/- per month and ii) others : Rs. 8000/- per month. A Special Fellowship of Rs. 12000/- p.m. is also available for outstanding candidates in each of the subjects: (i) Statistics, (ii) Mathematics, (iii) Computer Science, and (iv) Quantitative Economics. Fellowships are likely to be revised. Application procedure: Prospectus and application form can be obtained from the following offices of Indian Statistical Institute by post or in person:
(a) Dean of Studies, Indian Statistical Institute, 203 B. T. Road, Kolkata 700 108,
(b) Head, Delhi Centre, Indian Statistical Institute, 7, S.J.S. Sansanwal Marg, Near Qutab Hotel, Opposite Katwaria Sarai, New Delhi 110 016,
(c) Head, Bangalore Centre, Indian Statistical Institute, 8th Mile, Mysore Road, R. V. College P.O., Bangalore 560 059,
(d) Head, SQC & OR Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, 110 Nelson Manickam Road (1st floor), Aminjikarai, Chennai 600 029,
(e) Head, SQC & OR Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Street No. 8, Habshiguda, Hyderabad 500 007, by paying an amount of Rs. 450/-(Rs. 225/- for reserved categories) in cash (from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on working days from Monday to Friday) or by bank draft drawn in favour of “Indian Statistical Institute” payable at Kolkata (proper). Request for application forms should have mailing address in CAPITALS.
Postal orders, Money orders and Cheques will not be accepted.
Prospectus and Application form are also available on our website http://www.isical.ac.in/~deanweb in PDF format. Candidates who want to send the downloaded application form should read carefully the instructions given in the website before filling in the application form.
Further details can be taken from:
Tel: 033-25752001, 25752500, 2575-3304 Fax: 033 - 25776680 Website: http://www.isical.ac.in/ Address: 203, B.T. Road, Pin - 700035
Last date of submission of Forms: 21st March 2008
Last date of Issue of application form : 29 February 2008
Date of Selection Test (India and abroad) : 04 May 2008
Note : Selection of candidates is based on academic record, written tests and interviews conducted by the Institute. Due consideration is given to SC/ST/Physically Challenged candidates for all courses (excluding fellowship programmes). Detailed procedures for selection of the candidates who have been offered Junior Research Fellowships by the CSIR/ NBHM are available in the prospectus. Limited hostel facilities are available.