Department of Biotechnology; Ministry of Science & Technology: Government of India
Aim of the Fellowship
Who is eligible to apply?
Incentives of being a Ramalingaswami Fellow
- This is senior fellowship programme and awardees are to be considered synonymous to the faculty / scientists at the level of Scientist-D. They are entitled to take up teaching/research assignments and supervising Doctoral / MS Students.
- The scheme provides a consolidated monthly remuneration of Rs. 75000/- per month (Rs. 85000/- per month w.e.f. 1 April 2014). In addition, a House Rent Allowance (HRA) of Rs. 7500/- per month is given to fellows. In case host institute provides accommodation to the fellow, no house rent allowance is admissible.
- Fellows will receive a research/contingency grant of Rs. 10 lakhs for the 1st Year, Rs. 7.50 lakhs for the 2nd Year, and Rs. 5 lakh for the subsequent 3 Years for purchase of consumables, minor equipment, international and domestic travel, engaging manpower and other contingent expenditure to be incurred for the implementation of research proposal.
- DBT encourages host institutions to provide medical benefits, transport allowance, leave travel allowance and other benefits as per their prevailing norms as applicable to their employees of the rank equivalent to Scientist-D out of their own resources/funds.
- Ramalingaswami Re-entry Fellows could take up fellowship at any of the scientific institutes/universities in the country. However, application should be duly forwarded by the competent authority of the host Institute. Fellows / Awardees can change his/her host institute only once during the tenure of the fellowship.
- Awardees are eligible to apply for research grants to any of the funding agencies towards accomplishment of research proposal. However, the Co-Pl has to be a permanent employee of the host institution..