Video Gaming industry is worth multi-billion dollar. Its soaring. Budget smartphones and tablets added huge value to video game industry. Android made it truly viral. Today many pockets have smartphones supported by Android. Everyone loves to play video games and hence demand for human resources in video gaming industry is huge. "Worldwide game industry hits $91 billion in revenues in 2016, with mobile the clear leader, writes Dean Takahashi in Venture Beat.
If we look into these figures, it appears like video gaming industry has huge potential to grow and require human resources in every sphere; game players, beta testers, game developers, video game programmers, game designers, online marketers, sellers, re-sellers, affiliates, entrepreneurs and so on so forth. Video game is a online human mind consumable and hence demand for eligible human resources shall always exist.
You can chose a career in Video Gaming and a make a living out of it. You can play video games or develop and sell them. Here is a beautiful article about professional gaming career. But this is not all, here I am to tell you ways to earn university degree in gaming and make a vibrant career.
Study options for career in game design
- Game Design: Game design, level design, digital game development
- Computer Science: Computer science and simulation
- Humanities: English, Asian studies, Literature, Linguistics, Economics, etc.
- Art: Computer animation, Fine art, Illustration, etc.
- Media: Electronic media arts, Radio/television/film, video, etc.
- Applied Science: Engineering, Electronics, and Applied Science etc.
- Information Technology: Management information systems, computing and software systems, and other IT
- Business: Business marketing
- High School and 1 or 2 year course work in areas related game design for example short term course in animation, graphics, computer programming etc.
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science
- Web Design and Development, Bachelor of Science
- Game Design, Bachelor of Science
- Game Art, Bachelor of Science
- B.A. (Hons) in Digital Media (Game Development)
- B.A. (Hons) in Digital Media (Game Design)
- PG Diploma in 3D Animation
- PG Diploma in Visual Effects
- PG Diploma in Game Development
- PG Diploma in Game Design
- Diploma in Computer Science
- BE/B.Tech in Computer Science
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Bachelor degree in IT
- Bachelor / Master of Fine Arts (BFA/MFA)
- BA/BSc and MA/MSc etc in general study areas.
If you are in India and looking to gaming career (Video Game Producer) a diploma or degree in computer science will be helpful. However, the beauty of computing courses is, its up to you, how much and when you want to learn, whether you want to learn free or chosing for a paid course.
Here given list of the institutes offering courses in video gaming and production
International Institute of Gaming and Animation, Mumbai
Image College of Arts, Animation & Technology (ICAT), ChennaiWebsite: http://www.icat.ac.in
Graphiti School of Animation, MumbaiWebsite: www.graphiti.net
MAAC - Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematics has many centres across India
ANIMASTER, BangaloreWebsite: www.animaster.com
Meteor Institute of Digital Design Studies has many centres across India
Job Prospects: Video Gaming is a huge industry and growing. This is niche which shall never stop. With the advent of Augment Reality (AI), Virtual Reality (VR), wearable technology and innovations in robotics, to me it seems hopes are very high for people in video gaming.
- Educational institutions
- DVD and CD-ROM authoring companies
- Information providers such as local and national government
- Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
- Marketing and advertising agencies
- Mobile phone companies
- Design companies
- Looking at the design specifications of video game designers
- Writing code to turn the designer’s concepts into a playable game
- Using application program interfaces (APIs) – a set of pre-built commands that allow different softwares to interact
- Programming the game’s terrain
- Programming artificial intelligence for non-player characters within the game
- A passion for video games
- Wide-ranging knowledge of gaming trends
- Strong analytical frame of mind
- Ability to work as part of a team