• The Bacteriology is the scientific study of Bacteria.
• The Robert Koch (1812-1892) discovered the bacteria of Tuberculosis disease.
• The Louis Pasteur (1812-1892) discovered the vaccine of rabies and pasteurization of milk.
Properties of Bacteria• Bacteria is prokaryotic organism, it has no membrane-enclosed nucleus.
• Bacteria has no mitochondria or chloroplasts
• A bacteria is a single chromosome
• A bacteria is a closed circle of double-stranded DNA
Classification of Bacteria
On the basis of shape, bacteria is of following types-
• Bacilli: these are rod-shaped
• Cocci: These are spherical
• Spirilla: These are curved walls
• Comma Shaped: These are like English Sign (,) comma.
Uses of Bacteria• Bacteria have been used for thousands of years in the production of food. Cheese, pickles, soy sauce, sauerkraut, vinegar, wine and yogurt are all examples of the usefulness of bacteria.
• Bacteria are used in the chemical industry to make pharmaceuticals and agrichemicals. Since they grow easily and quickly, they can be used in molecular biology, genetics and biochemistry.
• Our understanding of bacteria allows the biotechnology field to produce insulin, growth factors and antibodies for the medical industry.
• Some bacteria, such as acidophilus, are considered "friendly." Many species of bacteria live in our intestines, promoting good digestion and immune health.