- The Part IX A of the Constitution of India gives a constitutional foundation to the local self government units in urban area.
- Most provisions for municipalities are similar to those written in Part IX, i.e. Structure, Reservation of Seats, Functions, Sources of Information etc.
- Nagar Panchayat is for an area being transformed from a rural area to an urban area.
- Municipal Council is meant for a smaller urban area.
- Municipal Corporation is meant for broader urban area. The municipal corporation is the top most local government.
- Generally direct elections are held to elect members of a municipality.
The legislature of a state can provide for representation in municipalities of –
- Persons having special knowledge or experience in municipal administration.
- Members of Lok Sabha, State Assembly, Rajya Sabha and Legislative Council.
- The Chairpersons of Ward Committees.
Important- If the population is minimum 3lakhs or higher then ward committees are constituted.
The two committees made for building of development plans are-
- A District Planning Committee at the District Level.
- A Metropolitan Planning Committee at the Metropolis Level